The Governor General recently presented fifty-two Canadians with Meritorious Service Decorations (Civil Division) and a federal public servant was one of them.
Nick Frate from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) received the honour for advancing diversity and inclusion, namely for volunteer work with LGBTQ2 youth in Montreal.
The Civil Division recognizes individuals who have performed an exceptional deed or activity that brought honour to their community or to Canada.
In addition to his work in the community, Nick Frate is also well known across the federal public service for being a champion of social leadership and diversity.
His colleagues at the CRA recently covered Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” in a video that went viral to support the Agency’s launch of its new internal diversity website.
The lyrics were reworked to reflect the message of diversity and in addition to the website launch, the hashtag
#CRAinclusionARC was created to promote awareness on social media:
Nick Frate is also the brainchild of the successful LeadersGC initiative in the public service.
Joining him are the Collaborators, a team of engaged public servants from across departments.
Each event is guest hosted by a senior Executive in the federal public service.
All public servants can participate in the #LeadersGC discussion on Twitter and catch up on highlights from past series below:
- November 5, 2015 – “Embrace the Social Leader in You” with Andrew Treusch
- November 12, 2015 – “The Essence of Social Leadership” with Nancy Chahwan
- November 19, 2015 – “Building the Workforce of the Future” with Denise Amyot
- November 26, 2015 – “Engagement and Pride in the Public Service” with Clerk Janice Charette
- January 21, 2016 – “Raising Awareness Around Mental Health and Stopping the Stigma” with Debbie Beresford-Green
- February 18, 2016 – “Leadership and Innovation in the Public Service” with Graham Flack
- March 17, 2016 – “Official Languages in the Public Service” with Graham Fraser and Donna Achimov
- April 15, 2016 – “Coaching and Mentoring in the Public Service” with Dan Couture
- April 20, 2016 – “Blueprint 2020 Innovation Fair: Recruitment in the Public Service” with Anne Marie Smart
- May 19, 2016 – “23rd Annual Report and Priorities for the Public Service” with Clerk Michael Wernick
- June 16, 2016 – “Celebrating Diversity in the Public Service” with Christine Donoghue
Watch the cover of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” here: